As ratified by the States in 1791: A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Guns in 1791 WOULD
- ...be made by a gunsmith.
- ...have rudimentary rifling.
- ...be single-shot weapons.
- ...be loaded through the muzzle.
- ...fire by means of a flintlock.
Guns in 1791 WOULD NOT
- ...have interchangeable parts. (Popularized in 1798)
- ...be revolvers. (Invented in 1835)
- ...be breachloaded. (Popularized in 1810)
- ...use smokeless powder. (Invented in 1885)
- ...use a percussion cap, necessary for modern cartridged bullets. (Invented in 1842)
- ...load bullets from a clip. (Invented in 1890)